home tutorials features parties custom orders

Friday, March 16, 2012

A Patchwork Purse and Coin Pouch



I've been sewing. I promise! I just haven't had much time to put together blog posts, pictures, etc. But I did make a few, quick pics of the latest purse I've made, plus this really cute little coin pouch.



Ok, first things first.  The Patchwork Purse was made using Simplicity 2617 View B.

I first saw this pattern/purse over at Sam's blog, Cup of Tea and Slice of Cake, where she made the same purse, View B, using Joel Dewberry's Heirloom fabrics, too.  I loved her version of this purse, so I immediately knew I wanted to try it as well.  So, the next time Simplicity patterns were on sale for $1, I grabbed it!

Here's my version of this Patchwork Purse.


Yes, I used the same Joel Dewberry Heirloom fabrics as some of the other purses I've made so far. It's amazing how much you can make out of just a yard of each fabric!  Anyway, I hope you like this one too.

I think the size of this bag is just right.  It is roughly 13.5" W x 9" H and has a large pocket on the inside and a magnetic closure.


The original pattern calls for a zippered interior pocket, but I wasn't up to that challenge last week when I made this.  However, I have found a couple of great tutorials over at Emmaline Bags here and here for installing an interior zipper pocket if you want to go ahead and give it a try!

It may be difficult to see in these pictures, but I did add the decorative zig zag stitch at the seams of the patchwork pieces.  I had some trouble getting my sewing machine to zig zag properly at first (you would only see the correct zig zag stitch on the bottom of what you were sewing), but I made a call to my local Bernina service center and found out all I needed to do was turn the screw on my bobbin casing a 1/4 turn.  Fixed the problem instantly!



So, if you are looking for a great purse that's attractive and easy to make, check out Simplicity pattern 2617.  It has patterns for three purses in all in addition to a zippered pouch, tissue holder, and key fob.  And if you don't like patchwork, then simply cut out the front and back from a solid piece of fabric! I plan on trying out one or both of the other purses in the near future plus all of the accessories.  This is just a great pattern, especially when you can buy it for $1!


Now, onto the little round pouch I made, too.  I was checking out all the link up parties a few days ago when I came across someone's post about these little round pouches they made as quick gifts. They were so cute and looked pretty simple, and since I wanted more practice with installing zippers, I decided to make one.


I didn't bookmark the link up post where I found this originally, but I did save the link to the tutorial that it referenced.  If you want to make one of these sewVery cute little round pouches to store your pocket change, earbuds, or even to keep jewelry in when you travel, here's where you can learn how! 

Now I'm wanting to make a lot more of these cuties, but I need zippers!  I'm already planning an order from Zipit on Etsy.

This little round pouch takes very little fabric, so scraps are perfect!  Add a zipper and a little batting and a key ring and you are good to go!  I used three different scrap pieces of my Joel Dewberry Heirloom fabric to make this one, so it matches the purse I just made perfectly!


One thing I did omit from the original tutorial is the topstitching around the entire circle.  I didn't like the way that looked, and I'm very pleased with the finished product without it!  



It reminds me of of those tacky little plastic coin pouches that my grandfather used to carry in his pocket.  I fondly remember him giving me a dime or a quarter from it when I was a little girl.  My dad used to sell them at his pharmacy years ago, too.  Here's an example.  I guess they still make them!
 

Anyway, hope you have a great weekend and find something fun to make!  I'll be back with a couple of other projects soon!

UPDATE:
My Little Round Pouch has been featured over at Pam's blog, Threading My Way!  Please check out her site and all the fun link up parties that she hosts! Thanks again, Pam!


And my Patchwork Purse was featured on Sew Country Chick!  Check out this great site and link up party, too!

10 comments:

  1. I love your little round pouch! And the colours you choose. I remember those plastic squeeze chain purses too. They worked pretty good!
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I love it, it turned out beautifully, I was wondering when you would make this one :-) and the coin purse is lovely, now I want to make one with the scraps I have left from my Joel Dewberry fabric. Your zipper is so neat, you did a great job. Not much sewing going on this end as I still need to buy a metal slider. I have the fabric all cut out! Also the weather has been glorious so I have been spending time outside trying to tidy up my flower borders in the garden.Thanks for mentioning by blog too. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your patchwork purse is great, Veronica!!! You've done well with the number of bags from that fabric!!! The little coin purse is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Veronica, I'm featuring your Little Round Coin Pouch today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/03/threading-your-way-features_17.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks, Pam! I'll be sure to add your featured button to the post.

      Delete
  5. love your little round pouch and the bag is beautiful! Am glad i found your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. See you at Sewing Summit! Thanks for the comment. and I love this purse, I need to get that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep my coins in my jeans’ pockets or in my bag. After seeing your coin pouch, I can imagine all those coins in it. I usually carry many coins when I go shopping and I usually enjoy the coin counter at the supermarket. I guess it will look better if I keep all my coins in that purse, won't it? Hehe! :)

    BankMartDirect.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice blog!
    http://placeforlady.blogspot.com/ :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!