home tutorials features parties custom orders

Friday, March 9, 2012

Felt Fabric Flower Tutorial

Now say that three times fast!  Whew!


I've got a quick tutorial for your today on how to make fabric flowers from felt.  You know, the cheap craft felt sheets you buy.  These are super simple and so fun to make.

I know you've seen these a lot out there in cyberspace, but I haven't seen any quite like mine.  My quick tutorial will show you how to make a large felt fabric flower that looks a lot like a zinnia or maybe a dahlia. I've got some you can see in the final pictures that look like daisies, too. Ok, so here we go!

Step 1:  Cut the strips for your Flower Center and Flower Petals out of the craft felt fabric sheets or if you want to go a more expensive route, use wool felt.


The dimensions shown above are for making a large flower, but you can vary the width of each piece however you want to make up all kinds and sizes of flowers.  I also used a 1" to 1.5" wide piece for the Flower Center and 1.5" to 2.5" for the Flower Petals on a lot of small or medium flowers.  Just play around with it and see what you come up with, too!

Step 2:  Glue the strips.


Step 3:  Cut the petals into the strips.


Step 4:  Cut the Flower Center.


Step 5:  Roll and glue the Flower Center.


Step 6:  Add the Flower Petals and keep rolling and gluing.  We're almost done!


Step 7:  Glue a felt circle to the back to cover up any glue that oozed out from the rolling (this part is optional but makes the overall flower look much neater).  Also at this point, you can glue a barrette or pin to the back in you want to wear it.


Voila!  A Felt Fabric Flower! 


I'll show you very soon why I made all these Beautiful Flowers (hint, hint)! Aren't they sewVery pretty!?


See how you can vary the center of the flower?  You can use different colors or you can omit the step where you cut the center and simply just roll and glue it up.



Have fun making flowers and have a great day!

This tutorial was featured on March 30th, 2012 at Sew Can She.  Please check out their blog and sign up for their daily tutorial emails!

One new sewing tutorial every day.

UPDATE:
This tutorial and all photos are property of sewVery and are NOT to be reproduced, rephrased, or copied and reposted on your blog!  As with all other content and photos on my blog, it belongs to me (Veronica) and you may not use it on any other blog or social media without my express written consent!  If you wish to share my idea, please contact me at sewvery(at)gmail(dot)com for permission.  

19 comments:

  1. I like these flowers and am sure my great granddaughters will love them. Plan to make them some for Easter as pins and heair adornment. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will bees and hummingbirds go after them? Very pretty, I saw some at Ella's party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very effective and they look so easy to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a neat way to make them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are lovely! thanks for sharing a tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are totally unbelievBLE AND SO TALENTED!! WHERE IS YOUR INSPIRATION FROM??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just decided to play around with the traditional way of making these flowers, and this was the result! Thanks! Plus, my daughter loves beautiful flowers!

      Delete
  7. These are great! Thank you so much for sharing, it's nice to see something new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet-gotta carve out a few minutes for these!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so pretty. Now how did you ever think of doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how unique these are- and so simple! What a great tutorial you did- thanks so much for sharing! I can't wait to try these :) Here from Sew Can She- hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Plus you made it look so easy. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sew very easy! Gonna whip some up, glue on an alligator clip, and attach to some FOE headbands :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sew lovely, have just done 1 for my 7yo and another for a girlfriend's bday, thank you I have bookmarked for future reference:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love them...I'm kind on a felt flower obsession phase

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these flowers so much! I have already made 3 of these, and I'm also doing it with ribbon and silk for a frayed flower!
    Thank you for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! Amazing! Your flower is very beautiful and so easy! Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy to find your blog. I'm following your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!