A couple of weeks ago, I made this skirt out of some larger "scrap" pieces of the Joel Dewberry Heirloom fabric. I emailed my best friend, Melissa, to get her daughter's measurements to see if it would fit her, and sure enough, it does!
I'm going to see my friend soon (for like the first time in almost 3 years), and I wanted to take her daughter a little something. So, we now have The Madalyn Skirt! I sent Melissa the pictures this morning, and she said her daughter would love it.
This skirt can be worn with either side in the front, and it was sewVery easy to make. You can do it, too! Sorry I don't have step by step pictures, but it is so simple, I know you can do it! Here's how...
Cut one panel 19" x 19", one 14" x 19", and two strips 2.75" x 19". Next, sew one of the narrow strips to each side of the smaller panel. Then sew the pieced panel to the larger panel.
I decided to zig zag down the seams of the strips to add a little detail. You can do this, too, but it is not necessary.
Next, make the casing for the elastic waistband. Turn down 1/4" and press and then another 1" and press it. Sew your seam about 1/8" from the edge of the casing but remember to leave a 2" opening so you can insert the elastic. Take your child's waist measurement and subtract 1" to 2" and cut a piece of 3/4" elastic this length. For the Madalyn skirt, I used a 24" piece of elastic. Put a safety pin on one end and work it through the casing. Now, sew the two ends of the elastic together and then sew the casing opening closed.
Finally, turn down 1/4" and press and then another 1/2" and press for your hem. Sew your hem seam about 1/8" from the folded under edge and you are done!
Melissa had asked me a while back if I ever sewed doll clothes. At the time, I had not even considered it, but since I had a few smaller scraps of the fabric left, I thought I would try making a matching doll skirt and bag for Madalyn's American Girl doll. Each skirt panel is approximately 7" long and 8" wide. I just sewed those pieces together and then serged the top and bottom, turned them under 1/2", hemmed the bottom and made a casing at the top. I then used a 10.5" piece of 1/4" elastic for the waistband.
The purse was very easy to make as well, but it takes some patience sewing such small pieces! When I have a little more time, I'll draw up the pattern dimensions, along with that for the skirt and post them for download.
Now I need to make her doll a white t-shirt to go with the outfit, and I've got to put together a little something for her son, too. I'm thinking an Auburn University pillowcase may be just the thing! War Eagle!
Can't wait to see you and your family soon, Melissa!