home tutorials features parties custom orders

Friday, November 16, 2012

Lovely Rita's Slim Jeans and Matching T-Shirt

This has become my favorite outfit for Ella--a pair of slim fit Lovely Rita's jeans and matching appliqued t-shirt.


A few months back, I tested the Pleated Penny top for Shauna of Shwin & Shwin, and as compensation, I was allowed to pick one pattern for free from her shop.  I chose the Lovely Rita's slim fit pant for girls.  


I picked this particular pattern out of all the wonderful, unique designs she has to offer because most little girl's pants patterns are for wide legged, ruffle bottom, elastic waist pants that aren't fitted at all.  This design is such a nice departure from that norm and is a lot of fun when you add contrasting fabrics to the pockets and pants cuff.


I made Ella's pants using size 5T and with stretch denim fabric as recommended in the pattern.   Shauna's pattern was filled with easy to follow instructions and helpful photographs which made constructing these jeans a cinch.  I did change one thing though.  I lined the rear pockets with the floral fabric.  This was easier to me than ironing and hemming the edges of the pocket.  Plus it added another cute detail.



The only problem that I had with the pattern was with the front pocket pattern pieces. I cut them out according to the pattern, but the side seam edge curved inward and did not extend out far enough to match up with the pants leg side seam.  The only solution was to recut the pocket pieces.  I made a note on my pattern to be sure to extend those edges the next time I make a pair.  

I thought the jeans were going to be too big for Ella, but in fact, they fit her quite nicely.  The Lovely Rita's slim jeans are great for running around, climbing, and playing in general.  And they are very stylish!


I bought more stretch denim the other day to make her a second pair.  The next time though, I think I'll make them without the lined cuff and buttons. Now I just need to find the time to sew them together!

Not sure what Ella is doing in all these pictures, but I see that she's having fun poking her lips out!



To go with these cool pair of jeans, I appliqued a double flower design with the letter "E" onto a t-shirt using my new embroidery machine.  I think I am finally getting the hang of machine embroidery!  Check out some of my embroidery/applique work here.



Ella has loved wearing this outfit so much that she has worn it at least three times this past week!  Guess I better get busy making that second pair!  Now if I could only figure out how to make these in my size...

  


Thanks for stopping by!  

11 comments:

  1. SO cute!! The button cuffs are adorable. And you are making me covet your embroidery machine. :) So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable pants! I don't think you need to forego the buttons and cuff... they are so cute!!! Totally make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks adorable. Those trousers are great, I love those buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these..makes me miss when my kids were little and would let me dress them in what I wanted with no fuss #wtfablinkup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!! AMAZING!!!!! The jeans are WOW!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the contrasting fabric of the pockets and linings. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have shared the best blog. This is what I really need immediately.

    tee shirt

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!