home tutorials features parties custom orders

Monday, June 6, 2016

Posey Tunic and Peony Leggings--Great New Patterns!

Last week, I participated in a pattern test for two new designs from Sew Like My Mom. If you follow my blog, then you already know I am a huge fan of Melissa's patterns. I was so excited to try out the Posey Tunic and Peony Leggings patterns, that I sewed despite some serious neck and shoulder pain that I had been experiencing for several days, and the results were well worth it!

Check out this adorable knit outfit!


Disclosure: I was provided the two patterns for free in exchange for my participation in the testing of the patterns. All opinions are 100% my own.

From the first preview of the Posey Tunic that Melissa shared on Facebook, I knew I would have to own this pattern to make Ella some summer tops. We live in the South where the humidity and heat are in full force lately making it too hot and sticky to wear anything but cool, comfy cotton knits. Ella has grown so much in the past few months that I am having a difficult time sewing new outfits fast enough, but the Posey Tunic and Peony Leggings are such a super fast sew that I finished both pieces in roughly an hour and a half! 



One of the great things about this a-line swing top pattern is that the back piece is not cut on the fold--making this a fabric saver project for non-directional prints like this Ann Kelle print I used. For this size 7 sleeveless version, I used less than 3/4 yard of fabric!

If you don't want to sew a back seam, then you can easily subtract out the seam allowance and cut the back on the fold. No big deal!


Another great feature of the Posey Tunic pattern is that it offers so many sleeve options: sleeveless, short, elbow, and long sleeves! I know I'll be making this pattern year round!

Oh, and the Peony Leggings offer just as many options as the tunic. Because it is summer, I chose to make the Biker Shorts in size 8, but the pattern also offers capri and long lengths and an option to make the side stripe gathered! You definitely get your money's worth from both of these patterns since they can be used each and every season.


Ella absolutely loved these simple little biker shorts. They are fitted, so a knit with good stretch and recovery works best. Here I have used some Laguna knit from Robert Kaufman. Although these shorts are simple in design, the addition of that side stripe absolutely won my daughter over. She thought that design element was the coolest thing ever!


I've already sewn another awesome set after Melissa made final tweeks to the pattern based on tester feedback. The fit under the arms in that set is a little looser since she adjusted the armscye. I would have shown it to you in this post, but the outfit is in the dirty laundry at the moment. She never took it off after I sewed it and had her try it on for fit! It rained all day, so we couldn't go outside to get pictures. Soon, I'll share pictures of it as well.

In the mean time, run over to the Etsy shop for Sew Like My Mom and purchase your own set of these two great patterns while they are on sale for just $10, or buy them individually for $6. Hurry though! The sale ends Thursday, June 9th!


Have FUN sewing!

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore Ann Kelle prints! This looks like a fantastic staple pattern, especially for Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful! Thank you for sewing for me, she's a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this outfit pattern. so cute and comfortable looking. Can you give me online source for the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Hawthorne Threads or search online for Ann Kelle knits. This is an older print, so it may be hard to find. Thx!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!