Recently, I was commissioned by the fabric designer, Ann Kelle, to sew up a few little pocket shaped zipper pouches using her new Rainbow Remix fabric collection. What's even better is that she asked me to write a tutorial for these adorable little pouches so that anyone could create their own! While part of this tutorial originally was posted on Kelle's blog, Ann Kelle, I've added a little twist to give you the Remix Pouch Tutorial with Bonus Wristlet Strap!
In addition to the gobs of uses for the original Remix Pouch, you can now sew a detachable wristlet strap and use the pouch hands free! The wristlet makes the Remix Pouch perfect for when you only need to carry a few small items like an ID, credit card or cash, lipstick, and phone. Make one with gold leather on the bottom like I did, and you have the perfect accessory for a casual date night.
The Remix Pouch with or without the wristlet strap is a quick, fun, and easy project that can be made using just a few scraps of fabric. All you need are a few 6" x 6" squares to make a solid version, or mix things up by piecing a print with a solid cotton or even leather for the bottom.
If you've never sewn a zipper before, then this is a great project to learn how. Make up a batch of these to keep on hand to give out as gifts with a gift card or cash tucked inside, or fill it with chocolates to give a friend who needs a pick me up from a bad day. This little pouch would even be ideal to keep in the car filled with simple first aid items. The uses are simply endless!
Ready to start sewing? Here's what you will need to make a Remix Pouch, including the free downloadable pattern, and step-by-step instructions on how to make not only the pouch, but the wristlet strap as well.
Supplies for Pouch
- Rainbow Remix by Ann Kelle fabric
- Coordinating Kona Cotton
- Interfacing (Pellon Shape Flex or Lightweight Fusible)
- 5" zipper
- Sewing Machine
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Chopstick or Bodkin
- Free Remix Pouch Tutorial Template - Download HERE from Craftsy (affiliate link)
Supplies for Wristlet
- 2" x 1.5" Piece of Coordinating Kona Cotton for Wristlet Tab
- 2" x 20" Piece of Coordinating Kona Cotton for Wristlet Strap
- 1 Swivel Lobster Clip with a 1/2" D-ring Connector
Seam Allowances are 1/4". Finished pouch measures 5 1/2" x 5 1/2".
- Print out the Remix Pouch Tutorial Template.
- Cut 2 Upper Outer pieces and 2 Zipper Tab pieces using the Rainbow Remix fabric and 2 Lower Outer and 2 Lining pieces using the solid Kona Cotton. NOTE: To make a Remix Pouch with a single outer fabric, simply use the Lining pattern piece for both the Outer pouch and the Lining.
- Cut out 2 pieces of interfacing for each pattern piece. TIP: Cut the interfacing minus the 1/4" seam allowance. This will help reduce bulk in the finished seams.
- Fuse the interfacing to the back of each corresponding fabric piece. NOTE: If sewing a Remix Pouch with a single outer fabric, skip to Step 7.
- With right sides together (RST), sew the straight edge of the Lower Outer to the long edge of the Upper Outer.
- Press the seam down toward the Lower Outer and topstitch 1/8" away from the seam. Repeat for the remaining Upper Outer and Lower Outer pieces.
- Create the 2 Zipper Tabs.
- Cut the zipper so it is 5" long.
- Attach the Zipper Tabs to the zipper ends.
- Center the zipper along the top straight edge of one of the Outer pieces with RST. Each Zipper Tab should be 1/4" away from the sides of the Outer piece as shown below.
- Place a Lining piece right side down on top of the Outer piece and zipper and align the top edges so they are even. Pin in place or use Wonder Tape to temporarily secure all pieces together. Using a zipper foot, sew the zipper in place using a 1/4" seam.
- Finish installing the zipper.
A. Flip the Outer piece and the Lining piece so they are now wrong sides together (WST). Press the seam.
B. Using a zipper foot, topstitch along the seam 1/8" from the edge.
C. Line up the remaining Outer and Lining pieces with the zipper as done in Steps 10 and 11, then repeat Steps 12A and 12B for the other side of the zipper.
- Make the Wristlet Tab.
- Attach the Wristlet Tab to the Upper Outer pouch on the side with the zipper pull when the zipper is closed. Be sure to fold back the Lining and only baste the Wristlet Tab to the Upper Outer Pouch approximately 1/2" down from the top.
- Unzip the zipper at least half way (not shown). With the zipper in the middle, line up the edges of the Outer pieces with RST being sure to match seams. Pin together.
- Starting about 1 1/2" down from the zipper on the Lining side, sew around the edge of the pouch using a 1/4" seam. Do not sew through the Zipper Tabs (they should be just outside the seam allowance). Leave a 2" to 3" opening along one side for turning the pouch right side out.
- Trim the edges if necessary and then clip the bottom curve on both the Outer and the Lining sides of the pouch. Be sure not to clip through the seam.
- Turn the pouch right side out through the opening in the Lining. With the help of a wooden chopstick or bodkin, gently push out the seams of both the Outer and Lining sides of the pouch.
- Close the opening in the Lining.
- Push the Lining back inside the pouch and using your fingers, gently push out the top corners of the pouch at the Zipper Tabs. Smooth out all the seams by finger pressing, then use the iron to thoroughly press both sides of the pouch for a nice, crisp finish.
- Make the Wristlet Strap.
- Attach the swivel hook to the Wristlet Strap.
B. Overlap the ends of the Wristlet Strap by 1/2" and secure in place by sewing through all three layers. Sew a second row of stitching closer to the d-ring for added security.
C. Clip the Wristlet Strap onto the Wristlet Tab.
B. Fold the Zipper Tab in half with wrong sides together (WST) and press.
C. Fold in each short end of the Zipper Tab approximately 1/4" with WST and press.
D. Fold along the center crease again and press well.
A. Open the Zipper Tab and place the zipper end on top of the folded end. TIP: Use a small piece of Wonder Tape along the end of the zipper to temporarily secure it to the folded end of the Zipper Tab.
B. Fold the Zipper Tab so that the zipper end is now encased inside the Zipper Tab. Using your zipper foot, sew across the edge of the Zipper Tab to permanently secure it in place.
C. Trim the edges of the Zipper Tab so that it is the same width as the zipper.
B. Fold the Wristlet Tab in half with WST and press.
C. Open up the fold and fold in the edges WST to the center crease. Press.
D. Fold again along the center crease and press.
E. Topstitch 1/8" away from both long edges.
F. Fold the tab in half and baste across the raw edges.
Also, line up the edges of the Lining pieces with RST and pin. Make sure the seams at the zipper are folded toward the Outer pieces of the pouch.
A. Press under the edges of the opening in the Lining and pin together.
B. Sew the opening closed using a 1/8" or smaller seam.
A. Fold the fabric in half and press. Open and fold in the ends by 1/4" and press.
B. Fold in each long edge toward the center crease and press.
C. Fold along the center crease again and press well.
Have FUN sewing!