home tutorials features parties custom orders

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas Skater Dress

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone! Sorry I haven't been very active on the blog lately. I have a quick project to share with you today--a Christmas Skater Dress I made for Ella!


I've been needing to make Ella another Skater Dress by Kitschy Coo forever, so when Modes4U sent me a half yard cut of both the green knit and the woven Cosmo Christmas print, I had a "make it work" moment! You see, Ella has gone up to a size 7, and the skirt of the Skater Dress requires more than a half yard of fabric to cut out the width of the skirt correctly. I decided to make the skirt not as full and make the half yard of fabric work. It turned out fine, in my opinion!


I also chose to hem the skirt with a wide bias binding that I had on hand. The color matches the top of the dress perfectly, and the bias binding made hemming the skirt a cinch!


I absolutely love this Christmas print. It has a lot going on, but each little character is adorable! I think I may use the few scraps I have and make little covered buttons to use on a future project!


The green knit Modes4U sent is so soft and easy to sew. I believe it is a Laguna Cotton Jersey Knit from Robert Kaufman. It has 4-way stretch making the top half of this Christmas Skater Dress super comfy!


Modes4U was so kind to send me these wonderful pieces of fabric! I hope that you'll check out their shop for all kinds of fun Kawaii items and Japanese fabric prints.  If you love Echino, then you'll love their selection!

Ella has been sick now with a cold for the last couple of weeks, and this afternoon, she has developed a fever. Not sure if she's caught something else on top of the cold, but my little girl needs to get better so she can enjoy her time off from school and Christmas!

Happy holidays, and have fun sewing!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear Ella has been sick!! That's no fun at all.... Merry Christmas to you and yours {and good health!!}. Hope to get together with you again at some point in 2015....

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!