home tutorials features parties custom orders

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Third Sweet Pea Tote--The Big One!

UPDATE!  
This Sweet Pea Tote was just featured on Shwin & Shwin!  Please check out their blog and their link up party for more crafty inspiration!  



I finally finished my third Sweet Pea Tote today, and it's the Big One!  This bag was made using Simplicity Pattern 0387 or 2396 View C or D.  Again, I can't say enough good things about these Sweet Pea Tote patterns.  They have all been so easy to cut out and put together.  The instructions are super simple.


The only reason this one took me so long to finish is that I could not find the 1 1/2" O-rings called for to attach the handles!  I tried Michael's and Wal-mart first, only because they are very near my house, and then I had to go to two different Joann's to finally find them!  If I decide to make more of these, I will definitely order the rings online.  I've already found a shop on Etsy that sells them for a fraction of what I paid!

I'm glad I waited to get the O-rings to finish it instead of improvising with something else.  I think they really add a professional touch to the overall appearance of the bag.


Again, I used Joel Dewberry's Heirloom collection of fabrics for the construction of this bag.  I knew the coordinating fabrics would be perfect for the six panels on the front and back.  The Joel Dewberry fabrics I used are as follows:  Rose Bouquet in Sky, Tile Flourish in Garnet, Rose Bouquet in Sky, Opal in Fuchsia, Paisley in Amethyst, and Opal in Fuchsia.  The handles are made with more of the Tile Flourish in Garnet.


I used some solid fuchsia cotton to make the lining and the bias tape trimming.



The inside has a very large pocket and a magnetic closure to keep it shut. The overall measurements of this tote are 12" high x 15" wide at the top and almost 20" wide at the bottom.  Like I said, it's the Big One! 


Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these bags!  I guess I'll try to sell them.  While I love the fabric and the overall bags themselves, I prefer to use basic black or brown purses myself.  I'm just boring that way.  Maybe I'll change my mind and decide to keep at least one of these pretty Sweet Pea Totes.

Here's the trio!  I think I like the one in the middle best.  A lot of other people must really like it, too.  It's been pinned like 27 times already!


I know.  I really need to find a better place to take pictures!

Don't forget to enter my contest for the Cute Little Wallet I made.


Enter the contest here if you haven't already!

17 comments:

  1. OMG I love this one, it is much bigger than I thought it would be. I have had some of the fabric for this pattern cut out but have just not got round to it, maybe this weekend!!! and I also just realised that I need to get some 'O' rings, can you let me know the details for the etsy seller please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look very professionally made, Veronica! Beautiful fabric!!! Even though I love making bags, I almost always carry a black, leather bag and then a colourful tote bag as well when I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely gorgeous! I wish my bags turned out that well. I really need to learn how to sew from a pattern. These are amazing and I love the Joel Dewberry fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all three are just lovely, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice bags, Darling. I like the O rings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..I love this bag..how gorgeous! You picked really pretty fabrics. :) Again..I have this pattern..and this bag is on my To-do list. :) I will have to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Veronica for purchasing my patterns! They turned out so cute! You did a great job! I got so excited when I saw them on your blog.
    Thanks,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the patterns, Mary, and I'm glad I bought them. They've been pinned lots of times so maybe a lot more people will rush out to buy the patterns, too.

      Delete
  8. I like the totes you made, just gorgeous!
    Carmen
    http://marnero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bag is great, I have used several Sweet Pea Totes patterns and agree they are extremely well written and easy to follow. I have this pattern too, but haven't got round to doing it yet this will spur me on :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These bags are just so beautiful--you should be very proud, thanks again for my wallet, very exciting to win your inaugural giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!
    I Like All!
    Congratulations!
    kisses from Argentina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I love the colors you used! So bright and cheery! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made one of the first bag for my mom. .It is a biggie! lol Love the colors you picked for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello I love this bag, just I have a question what kind of material is inside the bag? I mean how the bag is firmness?

    your blog is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors in the bag. You did such a great job. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!