home tutorials features parties custom orders

Monday, January 30, 2012

Simplicity 0387 or 2396 Sweet Pea Totes

Last week, I broke down and actually used two pieces of my Joel Dewberry Heirloom fabrics!  I figured it's time to start using those gorgeous designer fabrics instead of having them sit in a neatly stacked, yet beautifully combined, pile in my workroom.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up two new Simplicity bag patterns on sale for a dollar each at Joann's.  The bag I'm showing you today was my favorite look and is definitely my style.  This was made using Simplicity pattern 0387 or 2396.


I chose to make Bag B (bottom right) on the pattern cover with Paisely in Amethyst and Opal in Fuchsia from Joel Dewberry's Heirloom collection.  The lining was made from matching cotton fabric that I've had in my collection for a long time.


I'm thrilled at out the bag turned out!  It was so simple to make, and had I been able to sit down and make it all at once, I think I could have finished it in roughly an hour and a half.  UKMUMINUSA recently made this bag as well as you can see on her blog Cup of Tea and Slice of Cake (really, you should check out her bag, it is gorgeous!), and I totally agree with her that the most time consuming part of making this bag is cutting out all the pieces, and for me, fusing the interfacing to them.  All in all, I thought the instructions were clear and that everything fit together perfectly.  

The finished bag is roughly 11" high x 14" wide which is a nice medium size purse for carrying all the things we ladies like to carry.  The pocket on the inside is large enough to hold a phone plus lipstick and maybe a pack of mints. 



I couldn't believe that I got the fabric perfectly centered when I made the covered button using the circle pattern from the Opal in Fuchsia fabric.  


Since I used a solid fabric for the lining, I still have roughly 3/4 a yard of each of my designer fabrics left.  Because I bought the fabric on sale at Modern Fabric Studio and the rest of the supplies on sale at Joann's, I've only invested between $7 - $8 of materials in this bag.  I think that is pretty good. Don't you?


Here's a sneak peak at some other projects I'm finishing up this morning.  I'll be posting about them soon, too.   



And I couldn't pass up sharing this photo of Ella with you.  We should all be this happy in the morning!  Have a great Monday!



8 comments:

  1. I love Joel Dewberry! I have a quilt my mom made me out of a line of his. Your bag is gorgeous! Maybe I'll convince her to make that next (even though I could probably make it myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I absolutely adore it, I am loving the Joel Dewerry Fabric you used. It is amazing how different a bag can look in different fabrics, You did a great job, and thanks for mentioning me on your blog. I have had a nightmare today trying to make my first skirt!!!! I should stick to making bags!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pattern for $1... no way we could ever buy patterns that cheaply here!!! You've made a great shaped bag and the fabric is gorgeous! Well done on the PERFECT button making!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joann's fabric as well as Hobby Lobby have Simplicity, McCall's, Butterick, Vogue, etc. patterns on sale often. The first three I mentioned are normally 99 cents to $1.99 each while others go on sale for $3.99. Do these brand of patterns not go on sale where you live?

      Delete
    2. Patterns such as Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick are around $18 each in Australia. Vogue are usually more. If I want them now, I wait till there's a sale online and buy from the U.S. Last time I did this, they were on sale for $2.99. I purchased ten... add in postage and they ended up costing $4.94... a bargain!!!! The $ is much the same in both countries now, so a perfect time to buy this way. Patterns on sale here can't match that or come anywhere close.

      Delete
  4. I love how your bag turned out, and that Joel Dewberry fabric keeps saying buy me!I am not sure how long I can resist! Your button is absolutely perfect. It is amazing how the same bag pattern can look so different with different fabric. Thanks for mentioning my bag too! Don't you just love those pattern sales too, thats when I bought the same pattern.I will also update my bag post and add a link to your bag. I am looking forward to seeing what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and for adding a link back to this post. I also bought pattern 2205. I'm going to try to make both of the bags on it soon, plus I might give the other one on this pattern a try with some more of my Joel Dewberry selections. What are you working on? I saw your pin cushions! They are so darn cute!

      Delete
  5. Veronica, how funny, I have a few scraps left over from my Joel Dewberry fabric, and have cut out a couple of the pattern pieces for the other bag on the pattern, I just need to buy some fat quarters that go with them as I don't quite have enough to make a bag. I also bought pattern 2205 and that is the next bag I will be making!!! I just need to decide on fabric, Today I have been helping a friend sew her first skirt, what a nightmare, the pattern completely missed out some of the instructions and so we had to improvise quite a lot!!! I have also starte making myself a skirt which I hope to finish soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!