Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Water Bottle Tote and Perfect Pattern Parcel #3

Perfect Pattern Parcel has assembled another great collection of indie pattern designs, and this time, the parcel is geared toward women!  While there are some seriously amazing clothing patterns included in the bundle (see below), I chose to share the Water Bottle Tote from Radiant Home Studio with you all.  I know the bag is not as entertaining as a swimsuit post, but trust me when I say the Water Bottle Tote looks better by the pool than me!




Disclaimer:  I received a complimentary copy of the Perfect Pattern Parcel in exchange for my honest review of at least one pattern included in the bundle.  All opinions expressed here are my own.  Also I will receive an entry into a drawing for a fabric gift card each time you choose to click one of the Perfect Pattern Parcel links throughout this post.  

This was my first time sewing an item designed by Radiant Home Studio.  I was thoroughly impressed with the professional quality of the overall package but especially the pattern instructions and tutorial photographs.  The pattern pieces were a cinch to print out and piece together, but since the bag is constructed from various rectangular pieces of fabric, I would have preferred to have a cutting chart with dimensions for each piece.  In fact, after I taped the pattern pieces together, I measured each piece and then cut my fabric out using those measurements.

Per the pattern recommendations, I used a home decor weight fabric for the exterior and added Pellon Shape Flex SF101 interfacing to the front, sides, and bottom pieces.  Shape Flex is my favorite interfacing to use for bag construction.

I chose to use duck cloth for the lining and for the divider pieces.  Duck cloth is my favorite fabric to use for purse and bag linings because no additional interfacing is required for the lining. However, the pattern called for adding interfacing to the dividers.  Since the pattern didn't specify the type of interfacing, I decided to use some automotive headliner fabric to add stiffness and padding to the divider pieces.  After assembling the divider pieces with the padding, I quilted them for a decorative touch and to help add stability.


The bottom of the bag is reinforced with an insert that uses ultra-firm Peltex for support.  As you can see, this works well in preventing the bottom of the bag from sagging even when filled with water bottles, sunscreen, a camera, a bottle of bubbles, and a container of peanuts!


For the straps, I used 1" wide nylon webbing that I had on hand.  I believe the pattern calls for a wider webbing to be used, but I found this width to work just fine.  If you want to be able to carry the bag on your shoulder though, I would recommend lengthening the straps by several inches.


By following the instructions, the bag came together fairly easily and quickly.  My only issue was with my sewing machine.  I have a 40 year old Bernina Record 830 that just couldn't handle the thickness of the four corners of this bag.  Perhaps if I had used quilting cotton instead of duck cloth for the lining it would have worked better, but every attempt to topstitch the second row around the top of the bag produced unsatisfactory results.  I'm hoping that one of my local friends will let me use their newer (and hopefully more powerful) machines to finish that last step, but in the meantime, the bag still works and looks great!


As you can see from my photos, the Water Bottle Tote has six fixed water bottle slots on the interior and two slip pockets on the exterior.  The slip pockets are ideal for carrying hand sanitizer, napkins, wet wipes, or car keys for example, and the interior divided sections are great for carrying water bottles, snacks, a camera, sunscreen, or pretty much anything needed for a fun day at the park!


Now that I have convinced you that the Water Bottle Tote pattern is one you really must own, why not grab it and the rest of the Perfect Pattern Parcel patterns for a great deal?!

Here's a bit more information about Pattern Parcel: APerfect Pattern Parcel, we believe in supporting independent pattern designers. It’s our opinion that indie patterns are just, well, better than big box patterns, and we’re pretty sure our customers think so too. So, we allow customers to show their support in naming their own price for each Parcel. We also encourage customers to allocate part of their Parcel price to the charity Donorschoose.org in order to help classrooms in need. Pattern Parcel donates all profits after expenses from Parcel sales to the charity as well. Together we've raised almost $4,500 towards eliminating educational inequality.

Click any of the Perfect Pattern Parcel links throughout this post to learn more about the patterns and to purchase the bundle.  Here's a quick list of the patterns included in Parcel #3:

Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files
Jorna Tank Dress by Jenna Brand
Staple Dress by April Rhodes
Poppy Tunic by Make It Perfect
Water Bottle Tote by Radiant Home Studio

Pattern Parcel #3

Bonus Pattern: Choose a price of $28 or greater for Parcel #3 and you will automatically also be sent the Bonus Pattern! The Bonus Pattern for this Parcel is Prefontaine Shorts for Women by Made with Moxie. 

Pattern Parcel #3

Ready to commit and make a purchase?  Just click the button below to be directed to the Perfect Pattern Parcel website and help support indie pattern designers!  Hurry!  The sale ends on June 13th!

Buy Pattern Parcel #3

Want to see more Pattern Parcel tour creations?  There are some seriously amazing items created by these terrific bloggers using this collection.  Be sure to check them out!

Parcel #3 Inspiration Tour Schedule:

Friday, May 30 Sew Busy Lizzy || Pienkel || SeamstressErin

Saturday, May 31 Design By Lindsay || the Brodrick design studio || Cookin' and Craftin'

Sunday, June 1 Diary of a Chainstitcher || a happy stitch || Disaster in a Dress || sew Amy sew

Monday, June 2 Idle Fancy || Casa Crafty || Kadiddlehopper || Dandelion Drift

Tuesday, June 3 Our Family Four || Casa Crafty || Cookin' and Craftin' || a happy stitch

Wednesday, June 4 Lexi Made || The Quirky Peach || Stitched || a happy stitch || Casa Crafty ||

Thursday, June 5 verypurpleperson || Casa Crafty || sew a straight line || Sewbon

Friday, June 6 Shawnta Sews || Mama says sew || a happy stitch || Cookin' and Craftin'

Saturday, June 7 Casa Crafty || sewninestitches || 'So, Zo... What do you know?'

Sunday, June 8 oonaballoona || A Stitching Odyssey || Sew Charleston

Monday, June 9 Sew Sweetness || True Bias || Ozzy Blackbeard

Tuesday, June 10 Welcome to the Mouse House || Sew Caroline || Adventures in Dressmaking

Wednesday, June 11 Peneloping || YoSaMi || sewVery

Thursday, June 12 la inglesita || La Pantigana || Sanae Ishida

Friday, June 13 Seamster Sewing Patterns || Paunnet

Thanks for stopping by today!  Have fun sewing!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for making my bag a for the great review! The corners are pretty thick. One of the things that works for me is to raise the presser foot to the quilting setting right before I get to the corner. It still maintains some pressure, but allows more fabric to go through. You can check your manual to see if yours has that setting.

    Your bag looks great! I hope you find it very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I really enjoyed sewing this bag, and I love how the bottom is so well supported! Unfortunately, I don't think my machine has the feature you mentioned. My machine will sew through the corners, but the stitches just don't look nice and neat when I do.

      Oh, and I am finding it very useful. We have been using it for playdates at the park and at my son's baseball games! Quite handy!

      Delete
  2. What a great looking tote! I love this bag for being able to carry everything my family needs too. Plus, the six segments keep things organized so everything isn't sloshing around. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inviting me on the PPP tour again, Jill! Lovin' the bag!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!