Monday, April 7, 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel #2

I'm so excited to be participating in the Perfect Pattern Parcel #2 blog tour today!  If you missed out on last month's package deal, then today's your chance to grab a great set of girl's pdf clothing patterns for not only a great price, but also a great cause!


Before I tell you about the patterns in Parcel #2, let me share a little more information with you about Perfect Pattern Parcel and how it works.

Disclosure:  I was given the patterns in Parcel #2 in exchange for making at least one of the patterns and sharing my honest opinions about the pattern and PPP.  


Perfect Pattern Parcel is the brainchild of Rachel Gander and Jill and Danny Dorsey.  They created PPP because they "are passionate about supporting independent designers in their craft and fostering a community of makers to grow.  Our mission is to offer high-quality pdf sewing patterns written by indie designers while supporting children's education."

This month, Parcel #2 is all about sugar, spice, and everything nice.  It includes five amazing sewing patterns essential for a little girl's spring wardrobe.  These patterns offer both traditional and modern styling that can be easily sewn up to meet your own tastes.

The five patterns for Parcel #2 are as follows:


Perfect Pattern Parcel #2

Plus, an opportunity to earn a BONUS pattern: the Prefontaine Shorts by Made With Moxie 

Rachael of PPP asked me to sew up one of the patterns from Parcel #2 and share what I made and my review of the pattern with you!  I had the toughest time deciding which pattern to make first, but I chose to go with the Caroline Party Dress from Mouse House Creations.  



The Caroline Party Dress is the second pattern I have sewn from Mouse House Creations (I made the Norah Dress last Christmas), and again, I am thoroughly impressed with the resulting dress. this dress has comfort, style, and sophistication written all over it!  It's great for dress-up time or even play time which in our case is picking flowers, trying to grab the blooms off a tree limb, or petting horses!







What size to make?  With a lot of patterns lately, I've felt the need to mix sizes to get a custom fit for Ella who is pretty tall for her age.  The Caroline Party Dress pattern instructions give you guidance on how to do this, but in the end, I stuck with the size 6 overall and am very pleased with the fit that has a little bit of growing room in it for summer.



I love patterns with lots of options, and the Caroline Party Dress pattern is full of fun options that give you the opportunity to create a beautiful, one-of-a-kind dress for a special little girl.  It includes a fully lined bodice with faux cap sleeves, peter pan collar, in-seam pockets, belt, belt loops, invisible back zipper, and tulle underskirt.  

Everything about the Caroline Party Dress pattern is absolutely perfect for Ella's new Easter dress this year.  She's just turned five years old, so I chose to keep it pretty simple and made a basic dress that includes the fully lined bodice with cap sleeves, gathered skirt, belt loops, belt, and lapped zipper closure (only because I didn't have an invisible zipper on hand).  Ella looks absolutely lovely and quite sophisticated in her new dress, don't you think?




I may eventually make a separate lined tulle skirt with an elastic waistband that Ella could wear with this dress or another Caroline Party Dress since I know I'll be making more of this pattern! The pattern instructions include how to attach the tulle skirt with an underlining to the dress skirt, but I think having the separate tulle underskirt would make the dress more versatile and easier to wash, too.  I plan to just use the pattern pieces and instructions but add a separate waistband to the skirt.

I was really amazed at how easy the Caroline Party Dress was to sew together!  At first, I was intimidated by the zipper closure since the bodice is lined.  Although I ended up using a regular zipper with a lapped installation instead of an invisible zipper, the instructions included in the pattern for installing an invisible zipper are superb and very thorough. I had never used the lapped zipper installation method, but somehow after reading a few different tutorials, I figured out something that works!  



Curious about the fabrics I used to make Ella's Easter dress?  Well, the bodice is Heather Bailey's True Colors Pop Blossom in Turquoise and the skirt is Heather Bailey's Lottie Da Dauphine in Turquoise. The bodice lining and belt are a cotton fabric I picked up last year that has no selvage information but happened to match the green in the other prints pretty well.  These fabrics are all great quality and worked perfectly for this dress.  I love the large scale print for the skirt with the pop of orchid color in the flowers.


Here's how Perfect Pattern Parcel works.  You get to choose the price!  You decide what to pay for a collection of five amazing digital sewing patterns while supporting independent designers and children's education through Donors Choose.  And with Parcel #2, if you choose a price of $24 or greater, you will automatically receive the Bonus pattern.  Each Pattern Parcel sale lasts only two weeks, so hurry and make your purchase today!

Perfect Pattern Parcel #2

I'm so relieved that Ella's Easter dress is already complete.  Now I can sew her up something more casual for playtime using the Celestial Tee, Hosh Pants, and Prefontaine Shorts patterns--all patterns in Parcel #2!  What a great deal!

Rachael not only helped organize and managed the PPP sale, but she also found time to create a free paper doll printable using the Parcel #2 pattern sketches for the doll clothes!  How adorable is that? Download your copy HERE.


Thanks for stopping by today!  Please feel free to leave me a comment letting me know if you like the outfit and if you plan on purchasing the Perfect Pattern Parcel #2!  Also, to see what other bloggers are making with patterns from this bundle, follow along on the blog tour!

Perfect Pattern Parcel

Shawnta Sews P comme Plimplim CailaMade While she was sleeping YoSaMi stitched together Sew Like My Mom Marina Bebe lexi.made sewVery Call Ajaire I Married Superman Girl like the sea Stitched Compagnie M. Buzzmills floating world fake it while you make it Sewing Mama RaeAnna Our Chez Nous NeurosesGalore Behind the Hedgerow Needle and Ted Kadiddlehopper 2 little hooligans Max-California.com Siestas & Sewing So Cal Sewing Mom lauren dahl La gang à Nat Frances Suzanne Radiant Home Studio Modern Handmade A Jennuine Life It's Always Autumn lea & lars I Seam Stressed So, Zo... What do you know? Andrea's Notebook Steph Skardal Nutta! Sewpony Made With Moxie imagine gnats Inder Loves Folk Art Pienkel

Have fun sewing!  See you again soon!

12 comments:

  1. i just can't get over how grown-up she's looking! beautiful dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica, your Caroline dress is so awesome. I am in love with those fabrics you chose. Plus, your little girl is just so super adorable. Great photographs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling dress! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really fun fabrics...my girls would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fabrics are amazing Veronica! I love the colors and the belt is perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun!! I can see how much Ella LOVES it.....so evident through these pictures....

    ReplyDelete
  7. that turned out really cute! I have seen other versions of this dress but I think this is among my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adore your fabric choices, and she looks beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first I've seen of Pattern Parcel - how cool! I love the Caroline and I'm off to check out PP now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veronica - your daughter's dress is ADORABLE, and of course, so is she. Nothing more fun than sewing for little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I am loving the belt with it. I need to get my girl's Easter dress done. This is helping get the juices flowing! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. eep that dress is so so sweet! I'm in love with the fabrics and trim it's just so perfect together

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!